Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page| 2 - What's new| 3 - Site map| 4 - Search| 6 - Help| 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Terms and conditions| 9 - Feedback form| 0 - Access key details|

Guide to Bedfordshire Parishes

Guide to Bedfordshire Parishes

This section is designed to help anyone not sure of the location and status of a place in Bedfordshire and is divided into three sections:

Bedfordshire Parishes & Places
Composition of Hundreds
Population Figures

1. Bedfordshire Parishes & Places

The following list gives details for each parish in the county as well as listing hamlets, townships, ends and localities within parishes. The section contains three basic types of place:

* ANCIENT PARISHES: indicated in bold, are those parishes created before the Norman Conquest of 1066;

* PARISHES: indicated in ordinary script, are those parishes created after the Norman Conquest of 1066. Modern parishes comprise Civil Parishes and Ecclesiastical Parishes. The Civil Parish is the body responsible for the delivery of local government to a locality whereas the Ecclesiastical Parish is the area served by the Church of England parish church. The boundaries of the corresponding Civil and Ecclesiastical Parish may often be different. The split between Civil and Ecclesiastical Parish occurred quite early, the earliest Bedfordshire example being Stanbridge, formerly part of Leighton Buzzard, where a separate Ecclesiastical Parish was created in 1735, the corresponding Civil Parish not being created until 1866. In some cases the Civil Parish may have been abolished, though the Ecclesiastical parish remains (Leagrave, for example) or vice-versa (Battlesden for example), if no date of abolition or union is given for a parish it may be inferred that it still exists

* PLACES: indicated by italics, are those settlements which are part of a parish, for example Aley Green being part of Caddington; these localities are not and have never been parishes of any type.
 
Bedfordshire Parish Map|

Map of Bedfordshire civil parishes (click on above image to view)

ALEY GREEN: part of Caddington

AMPTHILL: Ancient Parish

APSLEY END: part of Shillington

ARLESEY: Ancient Parish; includes Church End and Etonbury

ASPLEY GUISE: Ancient Parish; part of Ecclesiastical Parish transferred to Woburn Sands in 1867; part of Civil Parish transferred to Aspley Heath in 1883; included Fotsey [exact location now unknown] Birchmoor [now in Woburn] and Hogsty End [now the Civil Parishes of Aspley Heath and Woburn Sands and the Ecclesiastical Parish of Woburn Sands]

ASPLEY HEATH: Civil Parish created 1883 from part of Aspley Guise; Ecclesiastical Parish is Woburn Sands and was in created 1867; Hogsty End formed part of this parish

ASTWICK: former Chapelry of Studham becoming a separate parish between 1242 and 1291

BACKNOE END: part of Thurleigh

GREAT BARFORD: Ancient Parish; includes Green End and Water End and the Manor of The Creakers

LITTLE BARFORD: Ancient Parish; Ecclesiastical Parish abolished, becoming Tempsford with Little Barford in 1972

BARTON IN THE CLAY: Ancient Parish - Civil Parish renamed Barton-le-Clay in 1956, Ecclesiastical Parish is Barton-le-Cley; includes Brook End Green and Church End

BARTON-LE-CLAY: Civil Parish renamed from Barton in the Clay in 1956; includes Brook End Green and Church End

BARTON-LE-CLEY: Ecclesiastical Parish renamed from Barton in the Clay in 1956; includes Brook End Green and Church End

BASMEAD MANOR: part of Eaton Socon

BATTLESDEN: Ancient Parish; Ecclesiastical Parish abolished in 1928 to form Battlesden with Pottesgrove; Civil Parish remains Battlesden

BATTLESDEN WITH POTTESGROVE: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1928 from the Ancient Parishes of Battlesden and Potsgrove; includes Sheep Lane

BATTS FORD: part of Bedford

BEADLOW: Hamlet of Clophill

BECKERINGS PARK: part of Ridgmont

BEDFORD: Borough from 1166 and County Town; made a Civil Parish in 1934 by the union of the former Ancient Parishes of St.Cuthbert's, St.John's, and a number of Ecclesiastical Parishes; includes Batts Ford, Black Tom, Brickhill, Elms Park, Goldington Highfields, Newnham, Putnoe [also Puttenhoe], Queens Park and Risinghoe

BEDFORD, ALL SAINTS: Ancient Parish which had been abolished by 17th Century, possibly absorbed by Bedford, St.Paul's

BEDFORD, ALL SAINTS: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1916 from part of Bedford, St.Paul's; includes Queens Park

BEDFORD, CHRIST CHURCH: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1958 from part of Bedford, St.Cuthbert's

BEDFORD, HOLY TRINITY: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1840 from part of Bedford, St.Paul's and abolished in 1974, being reabsorbed by Bedford, St.Paul's, the church buildings are now being used by Bedford High School

BEDFORD, ST.ANDREW: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1915 from part of Bedford, St.Peter de Merton; includes Brickhill and Putnoe [Puttenhoe]

BEDFORD, ST.CUTHBERT: Ancient Parish; the Civil Parish was abolished in 1934 when several parishes were amalgamated to form the Civil Parish of Bedford; the Ecclesiastical Parish became a unified benefice with Bedford, St.Peter de Merton in 1975, the church buildings now being used as a Polish Catholic church

BEDFORD, St.JOHN: Ancient Parish; the Civil Parish was abolished in 1934 when several parishes were amalgamated to form the Civil Parish of Bedford; the Ecclesiastical Parish lost some of its area on the creation of St.Michael & All Angels in 1956 and in 1975 became a unified benefice with the parish of Bedford, St.Leonard

BEDFORD, St.JOHN & ST.LEONARD: Ecclesiastical Parish - a union of the parishes of Bedford, St.John and Bedford, St.Leonard in 1975

BEDFORD, ST.LEONARD: Ecclesiastical Parish formed in 1889 from part of Bedford, St.Mary and united in 1975 with Bedford, St.John, the church buildings were demolished

BEDFORD, ST.MARK: Ecclesiastical parish also known as North Brickhill & Putnoe created in 1983

BEDFORD, ST.MARTIN: Ecclesiastical Parish formed in 1896 from part of Bedford, Holy Trinity

BEDFORD, ST.MARY: Ancient Parish; the Civil Parish was abolished in 1934 when several parishes were amalgamated to form the Civil Parish of Bedford; the Ecclesiastical Parisht probably absorbed Bedford, St.Peter Dunstable in 1545 and lost some of its area with the creation of Bedford, St.Leonard in 1889, more area with the creation of Bedford, St.Michael & All Angels in 1956 and was abolished and absorbed by Bedford, St.Paul in 1975, the church buildings are now used as an Archaeology Centre

BEDFORD, ST.MICHAEL & ALL ANGELS: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1956 from parts of Bedford, St.John, Bedford St.Mary and Cardington

BEDFORD, ST.PAUL: Ancient Parish; the Civil Parish was abolished in 1934 when several parishes were amalgamated to form the Civil Parish of Bedford; the parish probably absorbed Bedford, All Saints in the 17th Century; the Ecclesiastical Parish absorbed Bedford, St.Mary in 1975; the Ecclesiastical Parish part of its area in 1840 with the creation of Bedford, Holy Trinity (which was reabsorbed in 1974) and 1916 with the creation of Bedford, All Saints

BEDFORD, ST.PETER DE MERTON: Ancient Parish; the Civil Parish was abolished in 1934 when several parishes were amalgamated to form the Civil Parish of Bedford; the Ecclesiastical Parish lost some of its area with the creation of Bedford, St.Andrew in 1915 and in 1975 was united with Bedford, St.Cuthbert

BEDFORD, ST.PETER DE MERTON WITH ST.CUTHBERT: Ecclesiastical Parish formed by the union of Bedford, St.Peter de Merton and Bedford, St.Cuthbert in 1975

BEDFORD, ST.PETER DUNSTABLE: Ancient Parish possibly absorbed by Bedford, St.Mary in 1545 when the church buildings were demolished

BEESTON: [same place as Beeston Green] Hamlet of Sandy

BEESTON GREEN :[same place as Beeston] Hamlet of Sandy

BEGGARY: [also Begwary] Hamlet of Eaton Socon

BELL END: part of Kempston [now Kempston Rural]

BIDDENHAM: Ancient Parish; part of the Civil Parish transferred in Bedford in 1934; includes Church End

BIDWELL: Hamlet of Houghton Regis

BIGGLESWADE: Ancient Parish; the Ecclesiastical Parish (St.Andrew) also contained a district church (St.John the Baptist) from 1883 to 1974; includes Holme and Stratton

BILLINGTON: former Chapelry and Hamlet of Leighton Buzzard; Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1810; Civil Parish created 1866; includes Great Billington and Lower Billington

GREAT BILLINGTON: part of Billington

LOWER BILLINGTON: part of Billington

BIRCHMOOR: Hamlet of Woburn, formerly Birchmoor-with-Chapel

BISCOT: former Hamlet of Luton; Ecclesiastical Parish created 1866

BLACK TOM: part of Bedford

BLETSOE: Ancient Parish; included former Hamlet of Bolnoe and includes North End

BLUNHAM: Ancient Parish; Hamlet of Mogerhanger became a separate Ecclesiastical Parish in 1860 and a separate Civil Parish in 1866

BOLNHURST: Ancient Parish; Civil Parish abolished in 1934 to create Civil Parish of Bolnhurst & Keysoe; includes Mavourn, Park End and Wood End

BOLNHURST & KEYSOE: Civil Parish created in 1934 by amalgamation on the parishes of Bolnhurst and Keysoe; includes Mavourn, Park End and Wood End [all Bolnhurst]; Brook End, Hardwick End, Hatch End and Keysoe Row [all Keysoe]

BOLNOE: former Hamlet of Bletsoe

BOOT END: part of Langford

BOTT END: part of Wootton

BOUGHTON END: part of Lidlington

BOURNE END: part of Bletsoe

BOURNE END: part of Cranfield

BRAMINGHAM: Hamlet of Luton

BREACH: part of Maulden

BROAD GREEN : part of Cranfield

BRICKHILL: part of Bedford

BRIDGE END: part of Bromham

BRIDGE END: part of Chellington [now Carlton & Chellington]

BROGBOROUGH: former settlement in Ridgmont; Civil Parish created in from parts of Husborne Crawley and Ridgmont in 1990

BROMHAM: Ancient Parish; includes Bridge End and Vicarage End

BROOK END: part of Eversholt

BROOK END: part of Keysoe

BROOK END: part of Northill

BROOK END: part of Stotfold

BROOK END GREEN: part of Barton-le-Clay

BROOM: Hamlet of Southill

BUDNA: hamlet of Northill

BURY END: part of Shillington

BURY END: part of Stagsden

BURY PARK: part of Luton

BUSHMEAD: Hamlet of Eaton Socon [now Staploe Civil Parish]

CADBURY MANOR: former part of Eaton Socon

CADDINGTON: Ancient Parish partly in Bedfordshire and partly in Hertfordshire; divided into two Civil Parishes, one in each county in 1894; the Hertfordshire Civil Parish was absorbed by the Bedfordshire Civil Parish in 1897; Civil Parish now known as Caddington & Slip End; Ecclesiastical Parish lost Slip End in 1892 with the creation of the Ecclesiastical Parish of Woodside; includes Aley Green, Chaul End, Pepperstock and Slip End

CADDINGTON & SLIP END: Civil Parish incorporating the Ancient Parish of Caddington with its Hamlet of Slip End

CAINHOE: Hamlet of Clophill

CALDECOTE: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1928 from the Hamlets of Upper and Lower Caldecote in the Ancient Parish of Northill

LOWER CALDECOTE: Hamlet in Northill Civil Parish and Caldecote Ecclesiastical Parish

UPPER CALDECOTE: Hamlet in Northill Civil Parish and Caldecote Ecclesiastical Parish

CALIFORNIA: Hamlet of Kensworth

CAMPTON: Ancient Parish; included the township of Shefford until the creation of Shefford Civil Parish in 1866 and Shefford Ecclesiastical Parish in 1903; Civil Parish combined with Chicksands in 1985

CAMPTON & CHICKSANDS: Civil Parish created in 1985 by combining the parishes of Campton and Chicksands

CARDINGTON: Ancient Parish; included the Township of Eastcotts, comprising the Hamlets of Cotton End, Fenlake and Harrowden until the creation of the Civil Parish of Eastcotts; part of the Civil Parish was transferred to Bedford in 1934; part of the Ecclesiastical Parish was taken to form part of the Ecclesiastical Parish of St.Michael & All Angels in 1956; includes Chapel End, Herrings Green and Littleworth

CARLTON: Ancient Parish; the Civil Parish was combined with Chellington in 1934 to form Carlton & Chellington; Ecclesiastical Parish united with Chellington in 1972 to form the Ecclesiastical Parish of Carlton with Chellington

CARLTON & CHELLINGTON: Civil Parish formed in 1934 by amalgamating the parishes of Carlton and Chellington; includes Bridge End [Chellington]

CARLTON WITH CHELLINGTON: Ecclesiastical Parish united in 1972 from the parishes of Carlton and Chellington; includes Bridge End [Chellington]

CAULCOTT: Hamlet of Marston Moretaine

CAUSEWAY END: part of Wootton

CHADWELL END: part of Pertenhall

CHALGRAVE: Ancient Parish containing the Hamlets of Tebworth and Wingfield; part of the Civil Parish was transferred to Hockliffe in 1929

CHALTON: Hamlet of Toddington

CHANNELS END: part of Colmworth

CHAPEL END: part of Cardington

CHAPEL END: part of Colmworth

CHAPEL END: part of Houghton Conquest

CHAUL END: part of Caddington

CHAWSTON: Hamlet of Roxton

CHELLINGTON: Ancient Parish; the Civil Parish was combined with Carlton in 1934 to form Carlton & Chellington; the Ecclesiastical Parish was united with Carlton in 1972 to form Carlton with Chellington; includes Bridge End

CHICKSANDS: former Extra Parochial Place; Civil Parish created in 1858 and amalgamated with Campton in 1985 to form Campton & Chicksands; incorporated into Ecclesiastical Parish of Campton in 1977

CHILTERN GREEN: part of East Hyde [now Hyde]

CHURCH END: Arlesey

CHURCH END: part of Barton-le-Clay

CHURCH END: part of Biddenham

CHURCH END: part of Eversholt

CHURCH END: part of Flitwick

CHURCH END: part of Haynes

CHURCH END: part of Husborne Crawley

CHURCH END: part of Milton Bryan

CHURCH END: part of Ravensden

CHURCH END: part of Renhold

CHURCH END: part of Stevington

CHURCH END: part of Tempsford

CHURCH END: part of Thurleigh

CHURCH END: part of Totternhoe

CHURCH END: part of Old Warden

CLAPHAM: former Chapelry of Oakley becoming a separate parish in 1545; part of the Civil Parish was transferred to Bedford in 1934; includes Clapham Folly and Clapham Green

CLAPHAM FOLLY: part of Clapham

CLAPHAM GREEN: part of Clapham

CLIFTON: Ancient Parish

CLIPSTONE: Hamlet of Eggington

CLOPHILL: Ancient Parish including the Hamlets of Beadlow and Cainhoe

COCKAYNE HATLEY: Ancient Parish; Civil Parish was amalgamated with Wrestlingworth as Wrestlingworth & Cockayne Hatley in 1985

COFFLE END: part of Sharnbrook

COLESDEN: Hamlet of Roxton

COLMWORTH: Ancient Parish; includes Channels End, Chapel End, Roothams Green and The City

COLWORTH: former Extra Parochial Place; Civil Parish created in 1858 and abolished in 1895, becoming part of Sharnbrook

COPLE: Ancient Parish; includes Water End

COTTON END: Hamlet of Cardington, since 1866 part of the Civil Parish of Eastcotts

CRANFIELD: Ancient Parish; includes Bourne End, Broad Green, Gossards Green, Tartlett End, Wharley End and Wood End

CRAWLEY: former Hamlet, now part of Husborne Crawley

CRAWLEY GREEN: part of Stopsley [now Luton]

CROSS END: part of Thurleigh

CROSSHALL: Hamlet of Easton Socon [now in Cambridgeshire]

DEADMANS CROSS: part of Haynes

DEAN: Ancient Parish including the Hamlets of Lower Dean and Upper Dean; Civil Parish amalgamated with Shelton in 1934 to create Dean & Shelton; Ecclesiastical Parish became part of The Stodden Churches in 1980

DEAN & SHELTON: Civil Parish created in 1934 by amalgamating the parishes of Dean and Shelton

DENEL END: part of Flitwick

DILWICK: Hamlet of Stagsden

DUCK END: part of Houghton Conquest

DUCK END: part of Maulden

DUCK END: part of Stevington

DUCK END: part of Wilshamstead /Wilstead

DUCKSWORTH: part of Stagsden

DULOE: Hamlet of Eaton Socon, since 1965 a Hamlet of Civil Parish of Staploe

DUNSTABLE: Ancient Parish; a Borough from 12th to 16th Centuries and a Municipal Borough from 1864 to 1974; Municipal Borough received part of Civil Parish of Houghton Regis in 1907; Ecclesiastical Parish includes the Districts of St.Augustine, St.Fremund and St.Peter (The Priory)

DUNTON: Ancient Parish; includes Millow and Newton

EAST END: part of Flitwick

EAST END: part of Wilden

EASTCOTTS: former Township in Cardington consisting of three Hamlets of Cotton End, Fenlake and Harrowden; created a Civil Parish in 1866 and now including the modern settlement of Shortstown; part of the Civil Parish was transferred to Bedford in 1934

EATON BRAY: Ancient Parish; Ecclesiastical Parish was united with Edlesborough [Buckinghamshire] in 1975; includes Eaton Green, Moor End and Valance End

EATON BRAY WITH EDLESBOROUGH: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1975 by uniting the parishes of Eaton Bray and Edlesborough [Buckinghamshire] [Eaton Bray records are with Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service whilst those of Edlesborough are at Buckinghamshire Record Office]; includes Eaton Green and Moor End [both Eaton Bray]

EATON FORD: Hamlet of Eaton Socon [now in Cambridgeshire]

EATON GREEN: part of Eaton Bray

EATON SOCON: Ancient Parish; Civil Parish abolished in 1965 and divided between Roxton, the new Civil Parish of Staploe and St.Neots [Huntingdonshire, now Cambridgeshire]; Ancient Parish included Basmead Manor, Beggary, Bushmead, Cadbury Manor, Crosshall, Duloe, Eaton Ford, Honeydon, Little End and Wyboston

EDWORTH: Ancient Parish

EGGINGTON: former Hamlet and Chapelry of Leighton Buzzard; Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1810; Civil Parish created in 1866; includes Hamlet of Clipstone

ELMS FARM: part of Goldington [now Bedford]

ELSTOW: Ancient Parish; part of the Civil Parish was transferred to Bedford in 1934

ELVEDON: former Hamlet of Pertenhall

ETONBURY: part of Arlesey

EVERSHOLT: Ancient Parish; includes Brook End, Church End, Higher Bury End, Higher Rads End, Hills End, Lower Bury End, Lower Rads End, Potter's End, Tyrells End, Wakes End, Water End and [appropriately!] Wits End

EVERTON: Ancient Parish; included the Hamlet of Tetworth which was partly in Huntingdonshire; Tetworth created a Civil Parish in 1810 and the Bedfordshire portion transferred to Huntingdonshire [now Cambridgeshire] in 1844; Ecclesiastical Parish is Everton with Tetworth and, though the church buildings are in the Civil Parish of Everton, Bedfordshire, is in the Diocese of Ely

EVERTON WITH TETWORTH: Ecclesiastical Parish, though the church buildings are in the Civil Parish of Everton, Bedfordshire, the Ecclesiastical Parish is in the Diocese of Ely [thus the records are with Huntingdonshire Record Office]

EYEWORTH [same place as Eyworth]: Ancient Parish; this is the usual modern spelling

EYWORTH [same place as Eyeworth]: Ancient Parish; this is the traditional spelling

FALDO: Hamlet of Higham Gobion [now Shillington Civil Parish]

FANCOTT: Hamlet of Toddington

FARLEY HILL: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1967 by renaming the Ecclesiastical Parish of Luton, St.Michael & St.George, Farley Hill, at the same time the church was rededicated to St.John the Baptist

FARNDISH: Ancient Parish; partly in Northamptonshire; Civil Parish abolished in 1884 and absorbed by Podington; Ecclesiastical Parish united with Podington in 1970, the Farndish church buildings becoming redundant

FELMERSHAM: Ancient Parish; included the Chapelry of Pavenham which became a separate Civil Parish at an early date and a separate Ecclesiastical Parish in 1859; includes Felmersham Hardwick, Moor End and the Hamlet of Radwell

FELMERSHAM HARDWICK: Hamlet of Felmersham

FENLAKE: Hamlet of Cardington; since 1866 part of the Civil Parish of Eastcotts

FLEXMORE END: part of Langford

FLITTON: Ancient Parish; included the Hamlet of Silsoe which became a separate Ecclesiastical Parish in 1846 and a separate Civil Parish in 1866; also included the Hamlet of Greenfield, the Civil Parish was renamed Flitton & Greenfield in 1985; also includes Wardhedges and Worthy End

FLITTON & GREENFIELD: Civil Parish, renamed from Civil Parish of Flitton in 1985

FLITWICK: Ancient Parish; includes Church End, Denel End and East End

FIELDEN [also FIELDING]: part of Flitton [now Silsoe]

FOLLY: Hamlet of Harrold

FOTSEY: former settlement in Aspley Guise

GASTLINGS: part of Southill

GIRTFORD: Hamlet of Sandy

GOLDINGTON: Ancient Parish; Civil Parish abolished in 1934 and absorbed along with several others into the newly created Civil Parish of Bedford with parts also being absorbed by Ravensden and by Renhold; included Elms Farm, Goldington Highfields, Newnham, Putnoe [also Puttenhoe] and Risinghoe

GOLDINGTON HIGHFIELDS: part of Goldington

GOSSARDS GREEN: part of Cranfield

GOSWELL END: part of Harlington

GRAVENHURST: Civil Parish created in 1888 by amalgamating Lower Gravenhurst and Upper Gravenhurst; included Hamlet of Ion

LOWER GRAVENHURST: Ancient Parish; Civil Parish combined with Upper Gravenhurst in 1888 to form Gravenhurst; Ecclesiastical Parish united with Upper Gravenhurst in 1972 to create Upper with Lower Gravenhurst; included Hamlet of Ion

UPPER GRAVENHURST: former Chapelry of Shillington from 14th Century but a separate parish from the reign of Elizabeth I; Civil Parish combined with Lower Gravenhurst in 1888 to form Gravenhurst; Ecclesiastical Parish united with Lower Gravenhurst in 1972 to create Upper with Lower Gravenhurst

UPPER WITH LOWER GRAVENHURST: Ecclesiastical Parish created by uniting the benefices of Lower Gravenhurst and Upper Gravenhurst in 1972; includes Ion

GREATHAMPSTEAD: part of Luton

GREEN END: part of Great Barford

GREEN END: part of Kempston [now KempstonRural]

GREEN END: part of Maulden

GREEN END: part of Little Staughton

GREENFIELD: Hamlet once largely in Flitton and partly in Pulloxhill, now part of the Civil Parish of Flitton & Greenfield and the Ecclesiastical Parish of Flitton

GROVEBURY: part of Leighton Buzzard

HALL END: part of Maulden

HALL END: part of Wootton

HANSCOMBE END: part of Shillington

HARDWICK END: part of Keysoe

HARLINGTON: Ancient Parish; includes Goswell End, Harlington Woodend, Lower East End and Upper East End

HARLINGTON WOODEND: part of Harlington

HARROLD: Ancient Parish; includes Folly

HARROWDEN: Hamlet of Cardington; since 1866 part of the Civil Parish of Eastcotts

HART HILL: part of Luton

HATCH: Hamlet of Northill

HATCH END: part of Keysoe

HAYNES: Ancient Parish, previously also referred to as Hawnes; includes Church End, Deadmans Cross, Northwood End, Silver End and West End

HEATH: Hamlet of Heath & Reach

HEATH & REACH: former Township of Leighton Buzzard; Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1826; Civil Parish created in 1866; part of the Civil Parish was transferred to Leighton Buzzard in 1934; includes Heath, Nares Gladley, Reach, Rushmere and part of Stockgrove

HENLOW: Ancient Parish; includes New Town

HERRINGS GREEN: part of Cardington

HIGH TOWN: part of Luton

HIGHAM GOBION: Ancient Parish; Civil Parish abolished and absorbed by Shillington in 1985; included Faldo

HIGHER BERRY END: part of Eversholt

HIGHER RADS END: part of Eversholt

HILLFOOT END: part of Shillington

HILLS END: part of Eversholt

HINWICK: Hamlet of Podington

HOCKLIFFE: Ancient Parish; Civil Parish received part of Chalgrave in 1929

HOGSTY END: formerly part of Aspley Guise, now Aspley Heath and Woburn Sands

HOLCOT: Ancient Parish; Ecclesiastical Parish united with Salford to form Hulcote with Salford in 1750; Civil Parish amalgamated with Salford to form Hulcote & Salford in 1933

HOLME: Hamlet of Biggleswade

HOLWELL: Ancient Parish; transferred to Hertfordshire in 1897

HOLWELLBURY: part of Shillington

HONEYDON: Hamlet of Eaton Socon

HOUCHENS END: part of Whipsnade

HOUGHTON CONQUEST: Ancient Parish; includes Chapel End, Duck End and How End

HOUGHTON REGIS: Ancient Parish; part of the Civil Parish was transferred to Dunstable in 1907 and part to Luton in 1939; includes Bidwell, Puddlehill, Sewell, Thorn, Tithe Farm and Upper Houghton Regis

UPPER HOUGHTON REGIS: part of Houghton Regis

HOW END: part of Houghton Conquest

HULCOTE & SALFORD: Civil Parish created in 1933 by amalgamating Holcot and Salford; includes Salford Ford

HULCOTE WITH SALFORD: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1750 by uniting the benefices of Holcot and Salford; includes Salford Ford

HUMBERSHOE: Hamlet in Studham; Civil Parish created in 1866 and abolished in 1897 to help create the Civil Parish of Markyate [Hertfordshire]

HUSBORNE CRAWLEY: Ancient Parish; includes Church End and Crawley

HYDE: Civil Parish created in 1896 from the Hamlets of East Hyde and West Hyde in Luton; includes Chiltern Green, Luton Hoo, Newmill End and Thrales End

EAST HYDE: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1859 from the Hamlets of East Hyde and West Hyde in Luton; includes Chiltern Green, Dane End, Luton Hoo, Newmill End and Thrales End

EAST HYDE: Hamlet of Luton; joined with West Hyde to create the Ecclesiastical Parish of East Hyde in 1859; joined with West Hyde to create the Civil Parish of Hyde in 1896; included Chiltern Green and Newmill End

WEST HYDE: Hamlet of Luton; joined with East Hyde to create the Ecclesiastical parish of East Hyde in 1859; joined with the Hamlet of East Hyde to form the Civil Parish of Hyde in 1896; included Luton Hoo and Thrales End

ICKLEFORD: former Chapelry of Pirton [Hertfordshire] partly in Hertfordshire and partly in Bedfordshire; became a Civil Parish at an early date and was wholly transferred to Hertfordshire in 1844; Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1847 [all records in Hertfordshire Record Office]

ICKWELL: Hamlet of Northill

ICKWELL GREEN : Hamlet of Northill

ION: Hamlet of Gravenhurst

IRELAND: Hamlet of Southill

KEELEY GREEN: Hamlet of Wootton

KEELEY LANE: Hamlet of Wootton

KEMPSTON: Ancient Parish; part created an Urban District and part created as a separate Civil Parish of Kempston Rural in 1896; Urban District abolished in 1974, Kempston reverting to a Civil Parish and still distinct from Kempston Rural; includes New Town, Thistley Green and Up End; included Bell End, Green End Kempston Church End and Kempston West End until the creation of Kempston Rural

KEMPSTON, ALL SAINTS: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1976 to serve Kempston Rural, the church being the original, medieval, church of Kempston; includes Bell End, Green End, Kempston Church End and Kempston West End

KEMPSTON, CHURCH OF THE TRANSFIGURATION: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1976 to serve the urban area of Kempston, the original early 20th century building having been a district church under Kempston, All Saints; includes New Town, Thistley End and Up End

KEMPSTON CHURCH END: part of Kempston [now Kempston Rural]

KEMPSTON HARDWICK: Hamlet of Kempston

KEMPSTON RURAL: Civil Parish created in 1896 from that part of Kempston not made an Urban District; includes Bell End, Green End, Kempston Church End and Kempston West End

KEMPSTON WEST END: part of Kempston [now Kempston Rural]

KENSWORTH: Ancient Parish; transferred from Hertfordshire in 1897; includes California

KEYSOE: Ancient Parish; Civil Parish abolished in 1934 and combined with Bolnhurst to form Bolnhurst & Keysoe; includes Brook End, Hardwick End, Hatch End and Keysoe Row

KEYSOE ROW: Hamlet of Keysoe

KITCHEN END: part of Pulloxhill

KNOTTING: former Chapelry of Melchbourne; became a separate parish in 1176; Civil Parish abolished in 1934 and combined with Souldrop to form Knotting & Souldrop; includes Knotting Green

KNOTTING & SOULDROP: Civil Parish created in 1934 by combining the parishes of Knotting and Souldrop; includes Knotting Green

KNOTTING GREEN: part of Knotting

LANGFORD: Ancient Parish; includes Boot End, Flexmore End and Water End

LANGFORD END: part of Tempsford

LEAGRAVE: former Hamlet in Luton; Civil Parish created in 1896 from Luton Rural Civil Parish and abolished in 1928 with part going to Houghton Regis and part to the Civil Parish of Luton and part to Sundon; Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1954 from parts of Biscot, Caddington and Toddington Ecclesiastical Parishes

LEIGHTON BUZZARD: Ancient Parish; included the Chapelry and Hamlet of Billington until the creation of separate Billington Ecclesiastical Parish in 1826 and Civil Parish in 1866; included the Hamlet of Heath & Reach until the creation of separate Heath & Reach Ecclesiastical Parish in 1826 and Civil Parish in 1866; included the Hamlet and Chapelry of Eggington until creation of separate Eggington Ecclesiastical Parish in 1810 and Civil Parish in 1866; included Chapelry of Stanbridge until creation of separate Stanbridge Ecclesiastical Parish in 1735 and Civil Parish in 1866; part of the Civil Parish of Heath & Reach was transferred to Leighton Buzzard in 1934; Civil Parish of Leighton Buzzard abolished in 1965 and combined with Linslade to create the Civil Parish of Leighton-Linslade; includes Grovebury

LEIGHTON-LINSLADE: Civil Parish created in 1965 from the parishes of Leighton Buzzard and Linslade [formerly Buckinghamshire]; includes Grovebury and Southcott

LEWSEY: part of Leagrave [now Luton]; Ecclesiastical Parish is Luton, St.Hugh, Lewsey created in 1967

LIDLINGTON: Ancient Parish; includes Boughton End and Thrup End

LIMBERSEY: part of Maulden

LIMBURY: former Hamlet in Luton; Civil Parish created 1896 from part of Civil Parish of Luton Rural and abolished in 1928 with part going to Civil Parish of Luton, part to Streatley, part to Stopsley and part to Sundon; Ecclesiastical Parish of Luton, St.Augustine, Limbury created in 1971 from part of Biscot, part of the parish going to create Luton, Holy Cross, Marsh Farm in 1977

LINSLADE: Ancient Parish; in Buckinghamshire until 1965 when part of the Civil Parish was transferred to Bedfordshire and combined with Leighton Buzzard to form Leighton-Linslade, the other part being transferred to Wing [Buckinghamshire]; Ecclesiastical parish remains part of the Diocese of Oxford and records are at Buckinghamshire Record Office; includes Southcott

LITTLE END: part of Eaton Socon

LITTLEWORTH: Hamlet of Cardington

LOWER BURY END: part of Eversholt

LOWER EAST END: part of Harlington

LOWER END: part of Totternhoe

LOWER RADS END: part of Eversholt

LUTON, ST.MARY: Ancient Parish; included Hamlet of Biscot until creation of separate Ecclesiastical Parish in 1866; included Hamlet of Leagrave until creation of separate Civil Parish in 1896 and Ecclesiastical Parish in 1954; included Hamlet of Limbury until creation of separate Civil Parish in 1896 and Ecclesiastical Parish in 1971; included Hamlet of Stopsley until creation of separate Ecclesiastical Parish in 1861 and Civil Parish in 1896; included Hamlets of East Hyde and West Hyde until creation of separate Ecclesiastical Parish of East Hyde in 1869 and Civil Parish in 1896 as Hyde; Civil Parish of Luton St.Mary abolished in 1894, part creating Civil Parish of Luton Urban and part creating Civil parish of Luton Rural; Ecclesiastical Parish still exists but lost part in 1861 to create Luton, Christ Church, part in 1877 to create Luton, St.Matthew, High Town, part in 1895 to create Luton, St.Paul, part in 1959 to help create Luton, St.Christopher, Round Green, part in 1977 to create Luton, St.Anne and part in 1977 to create Luton, St.Francis

LUTON: Civil Parish, renamed from Luton Urban in 1896 - Luton had been a Municipal Borough from 1876 and continued as one until 1964 when it received County Borough status which it lost in 1974 becoming once more a Borough which then received Unitary Authority status in 1996; received part of the Civil Parish of Houghton Regis in 1939; includes Bramingham, Bury Park, Crawley Green, Greathampstead, Hart Hill, High Town, Marsh Farm, New Town, Park Town, Ramridge End, Round Green, Runley, Someries, Stockwood, Sundon Park and Warden Hill

LUTON, ALL SAINTS: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1922 from Luton, Christ Church

LUTON, CHRIST CHURCH: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1861 from part of Luton, St.Mary; abolished 1976

LUTON, HOLY CROSS, MARSH FARM: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1977 from parts of St.Augustine, Limbury and Sundon

LUTON RURAL: Civil Parish created in 1894 from part of Luton, St.Mary; abolished 1896 to create separate Civil Parishes of Hyde, Leagrave, Limbury and Stopsley

LUTON, ST.ANDREW: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1933 from part of Luton, Christ Church and part of Biscot

LUTON, ST.ANNE: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1977 from Luton, St.Mary

LUTON, ST.CHRISTOPHER, ROUND GREEN: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1959 from parts of Luton, St.Mary, Luton, St.Matthew, High Town and Stopsley

LUTON, ST.FRANCIS: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1977 from Luton, St.Mary; includes the Mission Church of St.Hugh, Cockernhoe although Cockernhoe is a Hertfordshire hamlet

LUTON, ST.HUGH, LEWSEY: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1967 from parts of Houghton Regis and Leagrave

LUTON, ST.MATTHEW, HIGH TOWN: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1877 from parts of Luton, St.Mary and Luton, Christ Church

LUTON, ST.MICHAEL & ST.GEORGE, FARLEY HILL: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1965 from part of Luton, St.Saviour, renamed as Ecclesiastical Parish of Farley Hill and dedication altered to St.John the Baptist in 1967

LUTON, ST.PAUL: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1895 from part of Luton, St.Mary

LUTON, ST.SAVIOUR: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1893 from part of Luton, Christ Church, part of the parish was used to create Farley Hill in 1969

LUTON HOO: part of West Hyde [now Hyde]

LUTON URBAN: Civil Parish created in 1894 from that part of Luton, St.Mary in the Municipal Borough, renamed in 1896 as Civil Parish of Luton

MARSH FARM: part of Luton

MARSTON MORETAINE: Ancient Parish (the same place as Marston Moreteyne), this is the current spelling of the Civil Parish; includes Caulcott, Shelton and Wood End

MARSTON MORETEYNE: Ancient Parish (the same place as Marston Moretaine), this is the current spelling of the Ecclesiastical Parish; includes Caulcott, Shelton and Wood End

MAULDEN: Ancient Parish; includes Breach, Duck End, Green End, Hall End, Limbersey and Water End

MAVOURN: part of Bolnhurst

MELCHBOURNE: Ancient Parish; included Chapelry of Knotting until it became a separate parish in 1176; Civil Parish abolished in 1934 and combined with Yelden to form Melchbourne & Yielden; Ecclesiastical Parish became part of The Stodden Churches in 1980

MELCHBOURNE & YIELDEN: Civil Parish created in 1934 by the union of the Civil Parishes of Melchbourne and Yelden

MEPPERSHALL: Ancient Parish; partly in Hertfordshire until 1844 when the Hertfordshire part was transferred to Bedfordshire

MIDDLE END: part of Totternhoe

MILLBROOK: Ancient Parish

MILLOW: Hamlet of Dunton

MILTON BRYAN: Ancient Parish, also known as Milton Bryant; includes Church End

MILTON ERNEST: Ancient Parish

MOGERHANGER: former Hamlet in Blunham, also spelled Moggerhanger; Ecclesiastical Parish (Moggerhanger) created in 1860; Civil Parish (Mogerhanger) created in 1866

MOOR END: part of Eaton Bray

MOOR END: part of Felmersham

MOWSBURY: part of Ravensden

NARES GLADLEY: Hamlet of Heath & Reach

NEW TOWN: part of Henlow

NEW TOWN: part of Kempston

NEW TOWN: part of Luton

NEWNHAM: part of Goldington [now Bedford]

NEWMILL END: part of East Hyde [now Hyde]

NEWTON: part of Dunton

NORTH BRICKHILL & PUTNOE: Ecclesiastical parish also known as Bedford, St.Mark created in 1983

NORTH END: part of Bletsoe

NORTH END: part of Stagsden

NORTHILL: Ancient Parish; includes Brook End, Budna, Hatch, Ickwell, Ickwell Green, Lower Caldecote, Thorncote and Upper Caldecote; the Ecclesiastical Parish of Caldecote was created in 1928 from part of this parish; part of the Civil Parish was transferred to Sandy in 1933

NORTHWOOD END: part of Haynes

OAKLEY: Ancient Parish; included Hamlet of Clapham until it became a separate parish in 1545

ODELL: Ancient Parish; includes Little Odell

LITTLE ODELL: part of Odell

PARK END: part of Bolnhurst

PARK END: part of Stevington

PARK TOWN: part of Luton

PAVENHAM: former Chapelry of Felmersham which became a separate Civil Parish at an early date; Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1859

PEGSDON: Hamlet of Shillington

PEPPERSTOCK: part of Caddington [now Caddington & Slip End Civil Parish and Woodside Ecclesiastical Parish]

PERTENHALL: Ancient Parish; Ecclesiastical Parish became part of The Stodden Churches in 1980; includes Chadwell End and Wood End and the Hamlets of Elvedon and Shirdon, both now deserted

PODINGTON: Ancient Parish; Ecclesiastical Parish united with Farndish in 1970 to create Podington with Farndish; includes Hinwick

PODINGTON WITH FARNDISH: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1970 by uniting the benefices of Farndish and Podington; includes Hinwick

POTSGROVE: Ancient Parish (the same place as Pottesgrove) and current spelling of the Civil Parish; includes Sheep Lane

POTTER'S END: part of Eversholt

POTTESGROVE: Ancient parish (the same place as Potsgrove); Ecclesiastical Parish united with Battlesden in 1928 to form Battlesden with Pottesgrove

POTTON: Ancient Parish

PUDDE HILL: Hamlet of Houghton Regis

PULLOXHILL: Ancient Parish; part of the Hamlet of Greenfield was in Pulloxhill until transferred to Flitton; includes Kitchen End and Upbury

PUTNOE: [same place as Puttenhoe] part of Goldington [now Bedford]

PUTTENHOE: [same place as Putnoe] part of Goldington [now Bedford]

QUEENS PARK: part of Bedford

RADWELL: Hamlet of Felmersham

RAMRIDGE END: part of Stopsley [now Luton]

RAVENSDEN: Ancient Parish; includes Church End, Mowsbury, Tilwick and Wood End

REACH: Hamlet of Heath & Reach

RENHOLD: Ancient Parish; includes Church End, Salph End and Top End

RIDGMONT: Ancient Parish; originally dependent on Segenhoe but this was soon counted a Hamlet of Ridgmont; included settlement of Brogborough before this was created a separate Civil Parish in 1990; includes Beckerings Park and Segenhoe

RISELEY: Ancient Parish; includes Top End

RISINGHOE: part of Goldington [now Bedford]

ROOTHAMS GREEN: part of Colmworth

ROUND GREEN: part of Luton

ROWNEY: part of Southill

ROXTON: Ancient Parish; Civil Parish acquired part of Eaton Socon on the abolition of that parish in 1965; includes Wyboston [transferred from Eaton Socon], Chawston and Colesden

RUNLEY: Hamlet of Luton

RUSHMERE: part of Heath & Reach

SALFORD: Ancient Parish; Ecclesiastical Parish united with Holcot in 1750 to form Hulcote with Salford; Civil Parish united with Holcot in 1933 to create Hulcote & Salford; included Salford Ford

SALFORD FORD: part of Salford

SALPH END: part of Renhold

SANDY: Ancient Parish; part of Northill was transferred to the Civil Parish in 1933; includes Hamlet of Beeston/Beeston Green, Girtford, Seddington, Stratford and The Hassells

SCALD END: part of Thurleigh

SEDDINGTON: Hamlet of Sandy

SEGENHOE: Hamlet of Ridgmont

SEVICK END: part of Wilden

SEWELL: Hamlet of Houghton Regis

SHARNBROOK: Ancient Parish; includes Hamlet of Colworth (which was a separate Civil Parish between 1858 and 1895) and Coffle End

SHARPENHOE: Hamlet of Streatley

SHEEP LANE: Hamlet of Potsgrove

SHEFFORD: former Township of Campton; Civil Parish created in 1866; Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1903 from parts of Campton, Clifton, Southill and extra-parochial place of Shefford Hardwick

SHEFFORD HARDWICK: Extra Parochial Place; Civil Parish created in 1858 and abolished in 1933 to become part of Shefford; incorporated into Ecclesiastical Parish of Shefford in 1977

SHELTON: Ancient Parish; Civil Parish combined with Dean in 1934 to create Dean & Shelton; Ecclesiastical Parish became part of The Stodden Churches in 1980

SHELTON: Hamlet of Marston Moretaine, sometimes referred to as Marston Shelton to avoid confusion with the Ancient Parish of Shelton

SHILLINGTON: Ancient Parish partly in Hertfordshire, the Hertfordshire portions being transferred to Pirton [Hertfordshire] and Ickleford [Hertfordshire] in 1897; included the Chapelry of Upper Gravenhurst from 14th Century until it became a separate parish in the reign of Elizabeth I; Civil Parish absorbed Higham Gobion in 1985; includes Faldo [formerly Higham Gobion], Apsley End, Bury End, Hanscombe End, Hillfoot, Holwellbury, Pegsdon, Upton End and Woodmer End

SHIRDON: former Hamlet of Pertenhall

SHORTSTOWN: Township in Eastcotts

SILSOE: former Hamlet of Flitton; Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1846; Civil Parish created in 1866; includes Fielden [also Fielding], West End and Wrest Park

SILVER END: part of Haynes

SLIP END: part of Caddington [now Civil Parish of Caddington & Slip End and Ecclesiastical Parish of Woodside]

SOMERIES: part of Stopsley [now Luton]

SOULDROP: Ancient Parish; Civil Parish combined with Knotting in 1934 to create Knotting & Souldrop

SOUTHCOTT: Hamlet of Linslade [now Leighton-Linslade]

SOUTHILL: Ancient Parish; includes Broom, Gastlings, Ireland, Rowney and Stanford

STAGSDEN: Ancient Parish; includes Bury End, Dilwick, Ducksworth, North End, Stagsden West End and Wick End

STAGSDEN WEST END: part of Stagsden

STANBRIDGE: former Chapelry in Leighton Buzzard; Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1735; Civil Parish created in 1866; includes Stanbridgeford

STANBRIDGEFORD: part of Stanbridge

STANFORD: Hamlet of Southill

STAPLOE: Hamlet of Eaton Socon created a Civil Parish in 1965 when Eaton Socon was abolished as a Civil Parish and including former parts of Eaton Socon - Basmead Manor, Beggary, Bushmead, Cadbury Manor, Duloe, Honeydon, Little End and Upper Staploe

UPPER STAPLOE: part of Staploe

LITTLE STAUGHTON: Ancient Parish; includes Green End, West End and Wickey

STEPPINGLEY: Ancient Parish

STEVINGTON: Ancient Parish; includes Church End, Duck End, Park End and West End

STEWARTBY: Civil Parish created in 1937 from parts of Kempston Rural and Wootton; includes Wootton Broadmead and Wootton Pillinge

STOCKGROVE: partly in Heath & Reach and partly in Great Brickhill [Buckinghamshire]

STOCKWOOD: part of Luton

STODDEN CHURCHES: group of churches comprising the former parishes of Dean, Melchbourne, Pertenhall, Shelton, Swineshead and Yelden

STONDON: Civil Parish created in 1985 by amalgamation of Civil Parish of Upper Stondon and Hamlet of Lower Stondon; Ecclesiastical Parish now renamed from Upper Stondon

LOWER STONDON: former Hamlet of Shillington; in 1985 amalgamated with Upper Stondon to form Civil Parish of Stondon

UPPER STONDON: Ancient Parish; Civil Parish amalgamated with Lower Stondon to create Stondon in 1985; Ecclesiastical Parish now know as Stondon

STOPSLEY: former Hamlet in Luton; Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1861 part transferring to help create Luton, St.Christopher, Round Green in 1951; Civil Parish created in 1896 from Luton Rural Civil Parish and abolished in 1933, part transferring to Civil Parish of Luton, part to Hyde and part to Streatley; included Crawley Green, Ramridge End, Someries and Warden Hill

STOTFOLD: Ancient Parish; includes Brook End and Stotfold Green

STOTFOLD GREEN: part of Stotfold

STRATFORD: Hamlet of Sandy

STRATTON: Hamlet of Biggleswade

STREATLEY: Ancient Parish; lost part of the Civil Parish to Luton in 1964; includes Hamlet of Sharpenhoe

STUDHAM: Ancient Parish; included chapelry of Astwick until it became a separate parish in the late 13th Century; included Hamlet of Humbershoe until it was created a Civil Parish in 1866; partly in Hertfordshire, part of Hertfordshire portion being transferred to Bedfordshire in 1844, in 1894 two separate Civil Parishes of Studham were created, one in each county though in 1897 the two Civil parishes were united as one Civil Parish and placed in Bedfordshire

SUNDON: Ancient Parish; part of the Civil Parish transferred to Luton in 1964; includes Upper Sundon and included Sundon Park until 1964

SUNDON PARK: formerly part of Civil Parish of Sundon, transferred to Luton in 1964

UPPER SUNDON: part of Sundon

SUTTON: Ancient Parish

SWINESHEAD: Ancient Parish originally in Huntingdonshire and transferred to Bedfordshire in 1896; Ecclesiastical Parish became part of The Stodden Churches in 1980

TAGS END: part of Wootton

TARTLETT END: part of Cranfield

TEBWORTH: Hamlet of Chalgrave

TEMPSFORD: Ancient Parish; Ecclesiastical Parish united with Little Barford in 1972 to form Tempsford with Little Barford; includes Church End and Langford End

TEMPSFORD WITH LITTLE BARFORD: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1972 from the Ancient Parishes of Tempsford and Little Barford; includes Church End and Langford End

TETWORTH: Hamlet of Everton, partly in Huntingdonshire; Civil Parish created in 1810 and the Bedfordshire portion transferred to Huntingdonshire [now Cambridgeshire] in 1844; Ecclesiastical Parish of Everton with Tetworth [all records are held at Huntingdon Record Office]

THE CITY: part of Colmworth

THE CREAKERS: part of Great Barford

THE GREEN: part of Whipsnade

THE HASSELLS: part of Sandy

THISTLEY GREEN: part of Kempston

THORN: Hamlet of Houghton Regis

THORNCOTE: Hamlet of Northill

THRALES END: part of West Hyde [now Hyde]

THRUP END: part of Lidlington

THURLEIGH: Ancient Parish; includes Backnoe End, Church End, Cross End and Scald End

TILBROOK: Ancient Parish; transferred to Huntingdonshire [now Cambridgeshire] in 1896

TILSWORTH: Ancient Parish

TILWICK: Hamlet of Ravensden

TINGRITH: Ancient Parish

TITHE FARM: part of Houghton Regis

TODDINGTON: Ancient Parish; Ecclesiastical Parish lost part of its area to create Leagrave in 1954; includes Chalton, Fancott and Wadlow

TOP END: part of Renhold

TOP END: part of Riseley

TOTTERNHOE: Ancient Parish; includes Church End, Lower End and Middle End

TURVEY: Ancient Parish

TYRELLS END: part of Eversholt

UP END: part of Kempston

UPBURY: part of Pulloxhill

UPPER EAST END: part of Harlington

UPTON END: part of Shillington

VALANCE END: part of Eaton Bray

VICARAGE GREEN: part of Bromham

WADLOW: part of Toddington

WAKES END: part of Eversholt

OLD WARDEN: Ancient Parish; includes Church End and Warden Street

WARDEN HILL: part of Stopsley [now Luton]

WARDEN STREET: part of Old Warden

WARDHEDGES: part of Flitton

WATER END: part of Great Barford

WATER END: part of Cople

WATER END: part of Eversholt

WATER END: part of Langford

WATER END: part of Maulden

WATER END: part of Wrestlingworth

WEST END: part of Haynes

WEST END: part of Silsoe

WEST END: part of Little Staughton

WEST END: part of Stevington

WESTONING: Ancient Parish; includes Westoning Woodend

WESTONING WOODEND: part of Westoning

WHARLEY END: part of Cranfield

WHIPSNADE: Ancient Parish, possibly originally a free chapel but certainly a separate parish before 1291; partly in Hertfordshire until Hertfordshire portion transferred to form Markyate; includes The Green and Houchens End

WHITNOE: part of Woburn

WICK END: part of Stagsden

WICKEY: part of Little Staughton

WILDEN: Ancient Parish; includes East End and Sevick End

WILLINGTON: Ancient Parish

WINGFIELD: Hamlet of Chalgrave

WILSHAMSTEAD: [the same place as Wilstead] Ancient Parish; includes Duck End

WILSTEAD: [the same place as Wilshamstead] Ancient Parish; includes Duck End

WITTS END: part of Eversholt

WOBURN: Ancient Parish; includes Birchmoor and Whitnoe

WOBURN SANDS: Ecclesiastical Parish created 1867 from parts of Aspley Guise and Wavendon [Buckinghamshire] and includes the Civil Parishes of Aspley Heath and Woburn Sands [Buckinghamshire]; Hogsty End formed part of this parish

WOOD END: part of Bolnhurst

WOOD END: part of Cranfield

WOOD END: part of Marston Moretaine

WOOD END: part of Pertenhall

WOOD END: part of Ravensden

WOODMER END: part of Shillington

WOODSIDE: Ecclesiastical Parish created in 1892 from Slip End portion of the parish of Caddington

WOOTTON: Ancient Parish; includes Bott End, Causeway End, Hall Green, Keeley Green, Keeley Lane, Taggs End, Wootton Bourne End and Wootton Green; included Wootton Broadmead and Wootton Pillinge until the creation of the Civil Parish of Stewartby in 1937

WOOTTON BOURNE END: part of Wootton

WOOTTON BROADMEAD: part of Wootton [now Stewartby]

WOOTTON GREEN: part of Wootton

WOOTTON PILLINGE: part of Wootton [now Stewartby]

WORKHOUSE END: part of Renhold

WORTHY END: part of Flitton

WREST PARK: part of Flitton [now Silsoe]

WRESTLINGWORTH: Ancient Parish; Civil Parish combined with Cockayne Hatley in 1985 to create Wrestlingworth & Cockayne Hatley; includes Water End

WRESTLINGWORTH & COCKAYNE HATLEY: Civil Parish created from the parishes of Cockayne Hatley and Wrestlingworth in 1985; includes Water End

WYBOSTON: Hamlet of Eaton Socon [now Roxton]

WYMINGTON: Ancient Parish

YELDEN: Ancient Parish [same place as Yielden]; Ecclesiastical Parish became part of The Stodden Churches in 1980

YIELDEN: Ancient Parish [same place as Yelden]; Civil Parish combined with Melchbourne in 1934 to create Melchbourne & Yielden


BORDER PARISHES IN NEIGHBOURING COUNTIES

Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service only collects material on Bedfordshire parishes; the following list of parishes and hamlets that border Bedfordshire whilst being in neighbouring counties is designed to point the enquirer to the relevant office if they find references to that place in their research. Places in normal text are parishes, those in italics are hamlets

Buckinghamshire [records at Buckinghamshire Record Office, Aylesbury]

Astwood
Bow Brickhill
Broughton
Cold Brayfield
Clifton Reynes
Dagnall
Edlesborough though now in union with Ecclesiastical Parish of Eaton Bray in Bedfordshire
Great Brickhill
Grove
Hardmead
Lavendon
Ledburn
Little Brickhill
Milton Keynes, later called Milton Keynes Village, now renamed Middleton to distinguish it from the new city of Milton Keynes of which it forms a part
Moulsoe
Newton Blossomville
North Crawley
Slapton
Soulbury
Wavendon includes former parts of Hulcote & Salford and Aspley Heath
Woburn Sands - the Civil Parish; the Ecclesiastical Parish also includes Aspley Heath and records for this are with Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service
Wing

Cambridgeshire [records at Cambridgeshire Record Office, Cambridge]

East Hatley
Gamlingay
Guilden Morden
Hatley St.George
Tadlow

Hertfordshire [records at Hertfordshire Archives & Local Studies, Hertford]

Ashwell
Breachwood Green
Caldecote
(Cockernhoebut considered part of the Ecclesiastical Parish of Luton, St.Francis)
Flamstead, which includes former parts of Caddington, Hyde and Whipsnade
Great Gaddesden
Harpenden, which includes former parts of Hyde
Harpenden Rural, which includes former parts of Hyde
Hexton
Hinxworth
Hitchin
Holwell, part of Bedfordshire until 1897
Ickleford, partly in Bedfordshire until 1844 and containing former parts of Arlesey
Kimpton
King's Walden
Letchworth
Lilley
Little Gaddesden, which includes former parts of Studham
Markyate, which includes former parts of Caddington and Houghton Regis
Markyate Street, which includes former parts of Caddington, Houghton Regis and Studham
Newnham
Norton
Offley, which includes former parts of Shillington
Peter's Green
Pirton
Radwell
Wheathampstead

Huntingdonshire [records at Cambridgeshire Record Office, Huntingdon]

Abbotsley
Covington
Eaton Ford
Eaton Socon transferred to St.Neots Urban District from Bedfordshire in 1965
Eynesbury
Great Catworth
Great Staughton
Hail Weston
Kimbolton
Little Catworth
Little Paxton
Saint Neots which includes Eaton Socon which was transferred from Bedfordshire in 1965
Stoneley
Tetworth, partly in Bedfordshire until 1844
Tilbrook, transferred from Bedfordshire in 1897
Waresley

Northamptonshire [records at Northamptonshire Record Office, Northampton]
Bargrave
Bozeat
Caldecott
Chelveston
Hargrave
Higham Park
Irchester
Newton Bromswold
Rushden
Stanwick
Wollaston