approach to Woodside church from the south - March 2007
St.Andrew's church, Woodside began as Slip End Mission Church in 1878 and was served by curates from Caddington. It lay in Slip End on the other side of the road to the Royal Exchange public house (now the Frog & Rhubarb) and the Primitive Methodist chapel. The current church was built by John Sambrooke Crawley in 1889, the parish being created in 1892.
Notes on the structural history of the church can be found in greater detail in Bedfordshire Historical Record Society Volume number 80 of 2001 Bedfordshire Churches in the Nineteenth Century: Part IV: Appendices and Index, put together by former County Archivist Chris Pickford from numerous sources some held by Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service and some held elsewhere or published.
the grave of John Sambrooke Crawley in the churchyard - March 2007
In 1927 the Vicarage was valued under the 1925 rating Valuation Act; the valuer saw the Rev.Hyne who "says House right size", it comprised an entrance hall and cloak room, a dining room (14 by 18½ft), a drawing room (15¼ ft by 16ft) and a study (14 by 12ft), kitchen, scullery and pantry downstairs with four bedrooms (14 by 18½ ft; 14 by 12ft; 12 by 12ft and 13¾ by 14ft), a box room, wc and bathroom above; outside were a bicycle shed, tool house and coal house, a lawn "in fairly good condition not used for tennis" and a quarter acre grazing field. Gas was laid on and came from Luton, water was pumped from a well and drainage was into a big tank in the field. The net living was £280 per annum.
Woodside church from the south west - March 2007
List of Vicars
- Philip Hyne - 23 Aug 1892 [ordained 1881; incumbent curate from 26 May 1886];
- Gordon Edward Quinion - Dec 1937 [resigned 1941];
- Bernard Matthew Lambert - May 1943 [curate in charge of Caddington 1944-1950];
- Hugh Warwick - 1952;
- Kenneth Ashworth - 1957;
- Dennis Howard Cooper - 1966;
- Michael John Withey - 1980;
- Ravid R.Bolster - 1987