Close Cottage Swineshead
Close Cottage in 1961 [Z53/120/9]
Close Cottage, 1 to 2 High Street, was listed by the former Department of Environment in 1964 as Grade II, of special interest. The cottage dates from the 18th century and is constructed of rough cast over a timber frame with a clay tile gambrel type roof. Like many older buildings, it stands end on to the road and comprises one storey and attics.
In 1927 Swineshead was valued under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting Close Cottage [DV1/C151/16-17] noted that the owner was Lord St.John, who owned a number of cottages in the village and that the cottage was divided into two tenements, divided north and south.
Close Cottage May 2008
One of the tenements, the northernmost one edging onto the road, was occupied by an F.Elliot at £3/10/- per annum rent. The dwelling comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. Outside stood a barn. £3/10/- per annum rent
The other tenement was occupied by a J.Cox at a rent of a shilling a week. He occupied a living room and pantry with one bedroom above; again a barn stood outside, probably a share of the single barn still standing today.
Barn at Close Cottage September 2008