9 Clements End Road Studham
9 Clements End Road January 2010
One might think that this striking building was originally tied to Clementsend Farm just over the road. However, that does not seem to be the case.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. Studham was assessed at the end of 1926 and the valuer visiting 9 Clements End Road [DV1/A26/4 and DV1/H23/13] discovered that it was then a part of Beechwood Farm, which lay in Studham and the Hertfordshire parish of Markyate. The farmhouse and homestead stands just south of Gravelpit Wood in Markyate.
9 Clements End Road also had a small homestead attached. The farm itself was owned by Sir Guy Sebright and occupied by J. Barnard, whereas 9 Clements End Road was occupied by Charles Waters, whose rent was taken out of his wages by Barnard. The valuer noted that the house had previously been two cottages and comprised a reception room, kitchen, scullery, pantry, back room and dairy downstairs with four bedrooms above. Water came from a well and a weather-boarded and tiled wood shed stood outside.
To the rear stood a homestead comprising:
North-west block of weather-boarded and tiled fowl house, two loose boxes, a single loose box and a lumber room;
North-east block simply containing a corrugated iron, brick and tile six bay open fronted cow shed;
South-east block: a brick, weather-boarded and tiled loose box, cow house for seven beasts ("bad") and cow house for five beasts ("bad").