46 and 48 High Street Shefford
46 and 48 High Street January 2012
46 and 48 High Street is a three storey building on the north side of the road. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in January 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the mid 19th century, including it amongst Shefford's listed buildings "for unusual doorway and group value".
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Shefford, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 46 and 48 High Street [DV1/C290/82-83] found both properties owned by A. West. He noted: "for sale apply A. west 45 Beechwood Road, Tooting Bec Common, London SW1".
Number 46 was vacant but the rent had been £30 per annum until June 1927. It comprised a kitchen, a scullery, two bedrooms, two attics in addition to the shop. There was no barn with the property.
Number 48 was occupied by newsagent Frederick Hyatt who paid rent of £35 per annum from May 1927. His private accommodation comprised a living room, a scullery, an upstairs sitting room, one bedroom, two attic bedrooms and a room over the passage measuring 7 feet by 27 feet. Hyatt's shop measured 13 feet 6 inches by 9 feet.
The valuer commented: "former pub" however censuses, directories and licensing records all fail to identify a suitable candidate. Directories were not published every year but ever few years. Frederick Hyatt is mentioned in directories of 1928, 1931, 1936 and 1940, the last directory to be published for the county,