Pulloxhill Gold Mine
The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county's historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The Record describes a supposed gold mine in Pulloxhill [HER 10809]
The "mine" was discovered in 1680. It was immediately seized as a royal mine but proved to be only "Gold Quarty" - flakes of mica in drifted stones in a bed of gravel. It was soon abandoned but the field name remained. A site visit by the Historic Environment Officer in 1980 found water-filled depressions in the field, the remains of mining.