Methodism in Potton
Prior to 1932, on the formation of the Methodist Church of Great Britain, Methodism was divided into a number of different branches, most prominent in Bedfordshire were the Wesleyans (the original Methodists founded in 1740) and the Primitive Methodists (founded in 1811). Potton Methodist church was a Wesleyan foundation.
The original Methodist chapel was registered for public worship with the Archdeaconry of Bedford on 22 Oct 1851 by its minister John D.Julian of St.Neots [Huntingdonshire] [ABN2]. This edifice was demolished in 1931 and a new building erected on the same site. The chapel was closed in 1974 and sold to the Salvation Army in 1976.
Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service holds a number of records for the former Methodist church in Potton of which the following are highlights: MB983 baptism register 1860-1973; MB984 trustees' and committee minute book 1891-1968; choir minute book 1911-1946; MB1164 marriage register 1875-1928; MB1165 bills for demolition of the old chapel 1931-1932; MB2197 list of deeds, copies of early records 1808-1948; MB2199 appointments of new trustees 1901-1968; MB2200 rebuilding of the chapel 1928-1941; MB2202 closure of the chapel and sale 1974-1976.