Congregationalism in Potton
The Congregational Church in the late 19th century with Minister F. C. Layton [X744/80]
The Congregationalists in Potton were formed in 1846 and Potton Congregational Church in Sun Street had its first service in Jul 1848; a certificate registering the building for public worship exists in Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service [ABN1/2] filled out by its minister, Frederick Basden in October 1849. The church stood some way back from Sun Street. Bedfordshire Archives and Records Service received the deeds to the building in 2009 [Z771/16]. The site of the later church was, in 1806, a cottage which was held as copyhold from the Manor of Potton Much Manured [X771/16/1]. In 1847 Thomas Hagger of Northampton covenanted to surrender the cottage to the newly appointed trustees of the Congregational Church - Thomas Strickland of Potton, brewer, James Shrosbery of Potton, draper, Charles Bond of Potton, grocer and druggist, James Judd of Potton, draper and grocer, John Edwards of Potton, farmer, John Claydon of Potton, schoolmaster, John Paine of Potton, baker, John Tyler of Potton, innkeeper, William Cooper of Sutton, farmer and Thomas Smith of Sutton, farmer. Hagger was brother-in-law of Edward Blackstock of Camden Town [Middlesex], dissenting minister [Z771/16/13]. Oddly, the trustees were not admitted at the manorial court until 1854 [Z771/16/15]. The church was renovated in 1899 and was enfranchised, that is converted into freehold, in 1939 [Z771/16/23].
The church closed in 1987 and was sold to A. H. Burton of Sandy in 1994 when it became a Sports Centre, the owners of which emigrated to Australia in 2005.