The Corn Exchange Luton
The Corn Exchange about 1900 [Z1306/75]
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927. Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service is lucky in having the valuer's notebook covering most of George Street. Evidence in the book shows that the survey of George Street took place in 1928.
The Corn Exchange, which had been built on the site of a number of old buildings, including the King's Arms, in 1868. The Market Hall within was owned by the Borough of Luton and measure 50 feet by 30 feet with an 22 feet by 4 feet platform. There were also two small offices and two galleries, each measuring 15 feet by 20 feet which were used as dressing rooms for theatrical performances.
In 1928 the White Rose catering Company Limited held a five year lease, dating from 1926, to run a café at the Corn Exchange. The café itself measured 30 feet by 32 feet 6 inches and the kitchen 30 feet by 11 feet 6 inches. The company paid £140 per annum rent to the Borough. The valuer commented that the premises was "Difficult to value".
The Corn Exchange was demolished in 1951 as structural weaknesses made it unsafe. The site is now occupied by an open space.