South Lodge Little Barford
South Lodge February 2010
South Lodge was built, presumably, at the same time as The New Manor House at Little Barford which is first shown on the tithe apportionmant map of 1840. The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county’s historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The entry for North Lodge [HER 12332] reads: "19th century Entrance Lodge to New manor. 1 storey and attic. Of brick construction with a gabled tile roof, gabled bay window to rear. Pair of chimney stacks”.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting the South Lodge [DV1/C256/29] found that it had a parlour and kitchen with two bedrooms and was occupied by a Mrs. Gilbert