The former Rectory in February 2010
The earliest reference to a parsonage house at Little Barford is in a terrier in the Archdeaconry archive [ABE1 page 63] for 1712. The building is described as timber (presumably half-timbered with plaster infill) with a tiled roof. The interior comprised a kitchen with a brick floor, a small parlour with a boarded floor, a cellar with a brick floor, a dairy with a brick floor, a sinkhouse with a brick floor and a pantry with a boarded floor downstairs. Five bedrooms and two closets lay upstairs.
Plans by John Shaw of Bunhill Row, London for the parsonage are held by Lincolnshire Archives Service in the Diocesan Archive. It seems likely that these were for rebuilding the property as the house currently known as South Close, which is the old rectory, looks to have been built around that date, as far as one can judge from seeing it from the road!.
In 1907 new drainage was required for a newly installed w. c. [P56/2/4/1]. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Little Barford was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the Rectory [DV1/C257/18] noted that it stood in 2.396 acres and that the gross value of the living was £358/9/8.
The brick and tiled property comprised a dining room, drawing room, study, hall, kitchen, scullery, pantry, store place, larder, cellar, garden room and cupboard downstairs. Upstairs lay three double and two single bedrooms, two dressing rooms, a bathroom and w. c. and a tank room. Outside lay the kitchen, a partially walled garden, a coach house used as a workshop, a harness room, a stable used as stores, two piggeries "not used", a tool place as well as a gardener's cottage comprising a living room, scullery, three bedrooms and a sitting room, occupied by J. Baxter.
In 1948 the Rectory was sold to W. H. Alington, who held the advowson to the church, for £2,500 [P56/2/4/3]. At that point the building became a private house, now known as South Close.