Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page| 2 - What's new| 3 - Site map| 4 - Search| 6 - Help| 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Terms and conditions| 9 - Feedback form| 0 - Access key details|
Home > Community and living > Archives and records service > Community archives > LittleBarford > Little Barford Deserted Medieval Village

Little Barford Deserted Medieval Village

Little Barford church and the site of the deserted Medieval village February 2010
LIttle Barford Church and the site of the deserted Medieval village February 2010

Bedfordshire's Historic Environment Record [HER] contains details of every historic building and landscape feature in the county. It is now available on-line as part of the Heritage Gateway Website|.

Little Barford in 1765 [R1/110]
Little Barford in 1765 [R1/110]

The entry for Little Barford Deserted Medieval Village [HER 1806] reads: "An area of complex earthworks around the church of St Denys. The area is shown as a small settlement on Jefferys' county map of 1765 [see above] and the enclosure agreement of 1764 [AA53] mentions recent demolition of buildings. Two cottages shown on the 1840 Tithe Map [MAT2/1 - see below] had been demolished by the time of the 1876 Estate Map [WG924]. The earthworks surviving indicate the presence of rectilinear closes and platforms, a hollow way, quarrying and fishponds".

Little Barford deserted medieval village in 1840 [MAT2/1]
Little Barford deserted medieval village in 1840 [MAT2/1]