Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page| 2 - What's new| 3 - Site map| 4 - Search| 6 - Help| 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Terms and conditions| 9 - Feedback form| 0 - Access key details|

Rowney

Old Rowney Farm March 2008
Old Rowney Farm March 2008

Rowney Grange

Neither Ireland nor Rowney is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. Rowney (and therefore, perhaps, Ireland) seems to have formed part of a grant of land by Walter Espec to Warden Abbey in the 12th century. Rowney Grange was mentioned in 1198 as being a possession of Warden Abbey|.

Warden Abbey seal
Warden Abbey Seal

At the Dissolution of the Monasteries Rowney Grange was granted by the Court of Augmentations to William Rolte, then, in 1544 to Francis Pigot of Stratton (Biggleswade). Pigot's son alienated the Grange to Hugh Cartwright in 1566, it was alienated again, to Nicholas Thurgood and again, to Sir John Brett in 1599. Owen Brett was a Royalist and, at the end of the Civil War, the victorious Parliament fined him the huge sum of £1,396/13/4 of which he could pay just £100. He was thus forced to sell his estates and Rowney Grange was sold to Henry Wynn for £200. One Brett Norton owned the Grange in 1663 as he quitclaimed it to Peter Newes in that year. The Grange is not then mentioned again by any surviving document and the modern Old and New Rowney Farms now form part of the Whitbread estate.

 Rowney Warren March 2008
Rowney Warren March 2008

Rowney Warren

Warrens were established by the Normans, who introduced the rabbit into England for eating. A warren existed in Rowney Woods in 1252 when it was granted to Warden Abbey. In 1519 the Abbot granted a lease to Michael Fisher. After the Dissolution, in 1544, the the warren was granted to Francis Pigot at the same time as Rowney Grange.

in Rowney Warren March 2008
Rowney Warren March 2008