71 and 73 Woburn Road Heath and Reach
71-73 Woburn Road June 2008
When Heath and Reach was inclosed in 1841 Numbers 71 and 73 Woburn Road belonged to Lord Leigh, being part of the Manor of Leighton Buzzard alias Grovebury. In the inclosure award the building was described as cottages and gardens on 39 poles of land. The building, now called Old Timbers, was listed by the former Department of Environment in 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 17th century and is timber-framed with whitewashed brick nogging. It comprises two storeys and has an old clay tile
Under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on them. Heath and Reach was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the property [DV1/C233/23-24] noted that it was owned by John Frederick Stevens, who also owned 13 and 15 Leighton Road. The property was still two separate dwellings. Number 71 was occupied by F. Stone and comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. Amazingly, the valuer noted: "2 Has converted into 1", the two cottages obviously only had one room up and down each. A brick and tile lean-to barn, smaller than that next door, stood outside. The rent was 2/9 per week.
Next door was occupied by Mrs. E. Neale and comprised a parlour, living room and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above. Again, the valuer noted: "2 Has converted into 1". A brick and tile lean-to barn ("poor") stood outside.
The property was put up for sale in 2008 and was, at that time, described as comprising [Z449/2/71] an entrance hall, split level lounge with two study areas, a dining/family room, an inner hallway, a kitchen/breakfast room, a shower/cloakroom and a utility area downstairs with front and rear staircases leading up to four bedrooms and a bathroom.
71-73 Woburn Road seen from Brickhill Road June 2008