Rose Cottage - 40 High Street Greenfield
40 High Street - Rose Cottage February 2011
40 High Street was listed by the former Department of Environment in January 1995 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 18th century "mainly re-fenestrated in the 20th century when a porch was added".
The cottage is timber-framed with colourwashed rendered infill. The timber-framing is exposed on the front elevation. The roof is thatched and the cottage was originally a pair of one roomed cottages with bed spaces in the attics. There is a central back-to-back hearth downstairs.
In March 1922 the cottage was sold at auction by the executors of Mary Ann Smith Osborn. It formed part of Lot 1 along with today's 42 and 42a High Street. The sale particulars relating to 40 High Street read: "The first two (thatched roofs), are let to Mr. Chapman at £8 10s. 0d. per annum, and contain: - 2 Bedrooms, and Small Boxroom, Parlour and Living Room, Lean-to Timber Barns at rear". The particulars note: "Common way to rear between the houses where are Good gardens, Timber and Tiled Barns and Earth Closets. Brick and Slated Wash House (Copper) and Earth Closet common to the Four Cottages … The owners and occupiers are believed to have the right of obtaining water from the pump at rear of the adjoining property known as "The Compasses Inn". The particulars are annotated to show that 40, 42 and 42a were bought by a man named Weston for £150 [SFM4/17].
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting 40 High Street [DV1/C234/139] found it was owned by H. R. Weston and still occupied by T. Chapman who paid rent of £8/10/- per annum. This had been £6/10/- before the Great War. Accommodation comprised a living room and kitchen and two bedrooms in the attics. Two barns stood outside. The valuer commented: "used to be two cottages".
In 1971 the property was sold at auction. It was described as "a Detached Thatched Cottage for modernisation and improvement" [Z156/50]. The living room measured 12 feet 7 inches by 10 feet 3 inches with a fireplace, electric power point, door to the staircase leading to the first floor and a cupboard under the stairs with a water tap. The second living room was identical except that it had no tap in the under stairs cupboard and no power point. Both bedrooms measured 12 feet 6 inches by 13 feet and had electric light.
Outside was a "good-sized garden", a timber barn and brick built earth closet. There was a garage space "subject planning and bye-law consent". Rates were £13.68 per annum.
Until 1984 40 High Street, in common with all the properties on the south side of the High Street stood in the civil parish of Pulloxhill. Since then these properties have been in the civil parish of Flitton and Greenfield.