65 Green End Road Great Barford
65 Green End Road in 1960 [Z53/5/16]
65 Green End Road was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the farmhouse to the 17th century with “much 20th century alteration”. The house is constructed of colour washed roughcast over a timber frame and has an old clay tile roof. It comprises a single storey with attics.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting the house [DV1/A12/36] found it formed part of Ivydene Farm, owned by George Mardlin of 63 Green End Road. The house was occupied by J. Bunch who paid rent of £18 per annum, fixed in 1921 and which included “farm buildings round stock yard in front of House and nearer road”.
The house comprised a parlour, living room, scullery and pantry downstairs. Three bedrooms lay upstairs. Water came from a pump in the yard.
65 Green End Road three-quarter view March 2010