The White House - 2 Church Lane Flitton
The White House - 2 Church Lane February 2011
2 Church Lane is called the White House for obvious reasons. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in July 1975 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 18th century. It is built of colourwashed roughcast render over brick and has a clay tiled roof. The house comprises two storeys and attics and stands gable end on to the road.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the White House [DV1/C270/35] found it was owned and occupier J. Buck.
The house had a wooden porch and comprised: a living room, a kitchen, a scullery, a pantry, a washhouse; three bedrooms and a large attic. The valuer noted: "garden good".
Outbuildings included a wood and tiled food store, two pigsties, a wood and corrugated iron four bay hovel; a wood and corrugated iron four bay shed; a wood and tiled garage; a chaff house; a barn; two other large barns; a wood and corrugated iron shed and two henhouses. Buck also had 1.689 acres of arable land at Wardhedges.