The Rockery Colmworth
The Rockery August 2009
The Rockery was listed by English Heritage in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The building dates from the 17th century. It is constructed of colourwashed roughcast over a timber frame and has a pantiled roof. It was a classic two-roomed cottage, one room either side of a central hearth and chimney stack, with bedrooms in the attics above. It has later lean-to additions to south and east.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Colmworth, like most of Bedfordshire, was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting The Rockery [DV1/C180/65] discovered that it was owned by W. and W. Salisbury and occupied by A. Stringer, who paid £8 per annum rent.
The cottage comprised a living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms in the attics. A weather-boarded and tiled bar, a similarly constructed shelter and a weather-boarded and corrugated iron shed stood outside. The cottage stood in just under half an acre.