2 The Causeway Clophill
The Bungalow about 1925 [Z1306/31]
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Clophill was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 2 The Causeway [DV1/C288/58] found it owned by George Course, owner of the mill, and occupied by John James Cottam who paid ten shillings per week rent plus a shilling a week for the shop.
The valuer noted that the premises included a "boot shop". The brick, pebbledashed and asbestos property comprised a living room, kitchen, pantry and two bedrooms. The valuer commented: "boot shop, neglect". The shop measured 6 feet three inches by 6 feet and stood outside, being made of weather-boarding and felt. A brick and corrugated iron barn and earth closet also stood outside.
Kelly's Directories for Bedfordshire list John James Cottam, boot repairer, in their editions of 1931, 1936 and 1940. The latter directory was the last Kelly's for Bedfordshire published.
2 The Causeway July 2010