Skip Navigation 1 - Home Page| 2 - What's new| 3 - Site map| 4 - Search| 6 - Help| 7 - Complaints Procedure 8 - Terms and conditions| 9 - Feedback form| 0 - Access key details|

Clifton Church

Clifton Church 2007

All Saints Church 

The bulk of the church is early 14th century with a 15th century north aisle and tower. The church was very heavily restored by Rev.Henry Hugh Miles, the rector from 1858 to 1891, the architect being Edward Haycock junior of Shrewsbury, the rector's brother-in-law. The first restoration came in 1862-1863 with a rebuilding of the north aisle, addition of an organ chamber and vestry and renewal of the roof, which was raised; three stained glass windows were also added to the chancel. The rector donated a new clock in 1863 and added quarter chimes in 1867 and a carillon which played tunes on fifteen small bells in 1869. In 1874 the chancel was embellished by a reredos and a mosaic over the arch and the new vestry enlarged. A new organ was installed in 1886. In 1992 the 14th century rood screen and its paintings were restored (dismissed by Nikolaus Pevsner in 1968 as "not good"). Since 1994 the incumbent has been shared with Southill though both parishes retain their own parochial church council, churchwardens and services.

Most of the notes on the structural history of the church can be found in greater detail in Bedfordshire Historical Record Society Volume number 73 of 1994 Bedfordshire Churches in the Nineteenth Century: Part I: parishes A to G, put together by former County Archivist Chris Pickford from numerous sources some held by Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service and some held elsewhere or published.

Rectory

In 1927 the Rectory was valued under the 1925 Rating Valuation Act. the valuer discovered that the Rectory stood in 1.873 acres and comprised an entrance porch and a large hall with a tiled floor; at the south east corner was a drawing room (19 x 15ft) with a bay window; at the south west was a recreation room (17 by 15ft) with french windows leading onto the lawn and a wc leading from it; at the north west corner was a kitchen ("large and good"); and at the south east corner was a dining room (18 by 15ft). A staircase ("wide & good leading from Hall") went upstairs where there were: in the south east corner a bedroom (15 by 15ft) with a linen cupboard; on the south face was a dressing room (10 by 9½ ft) and a bedroom (13½ by 12½ft) with a lavatory and wc and a small bathroom; on the north west corner was a bedroom (18 by 14ft); and another bedroom lay on the south east corner (18 by 15ft). Here there was a back staircase ("narrow" with hot and cold water taps) up to the second floor with two bedrooms one at the north west corner (18 by 15ft) and one at the south east corner (18 by 15ft) as well as a large room measuring 40 by 15ft with support posts in the centre and a "bad slope". Outside was a courtyard, a lavatory and wc, a two bay open shed, a coal cellar (capacity twenty tons), a small carpenter's shop, two small barns and a coke house. From here one went down to the garden which had an open cart shed and a garage for two cars as well as a harness room, a two stall stable, a small open barn, a loose box, a large washhouse and a drying room with a loft over. The garage, harness room and stable together measured 63 by 15 feet. There was also an earth closet. Of the grounds the valuer opined "Large Garden & Grounds well laid out & kept in good condition, good lawns for tennis etc".

 List of Rectors:

- Eugeranus de Sandy - 1202;
- Thomas son of Simon - after 1202;
- Thomas de Pertenhale -1229 [subdeacon];
- Richard de Caysho - 17 Dec 1267 [subdeacon];
- John de Auchoyl [?] - 27 Jul 1278 [clerk; subdeacon; on death of last Rector];
- Roger de Graneby - 23 Mar 1293 [capellanus; Vicar of Bromham];
- John Pickard;
- Robert Spigurnel - 21 Sep 1297 [clerk; on institution of John Pickard to another parish in Diocese of Norwich; Sir Roger Peyure of Pertenhall had presented another clerk but he was held not to be entitled];
- John de Cheringdon - 12 Apr 1301 [acolite; on death of Robert Spigurnel];
- Nicholas de Eye - 21 Mar 1030 [clerk; on resignation of John de Cheringdon];
- John Blundel - 15 Oct 1313 [capellanus; on death of Nicholas];
- John de Marcham;
- John de Hale - 15 Dec 1340 [priest; on institution of John de Marcham to be Rector of Sudbur' in Norwich Diocese [Sudbury, Suffolk?]; instituted again 19 Jan 1341 by Walter de Stauren', canon of Lincoln];
- Geoffrey de Sidelsham - 21 Jul 1345 [Rector of Selesby by Nicholas de Benton, Rector of Wranby, his procurator, by exchange with John de Hale];
- Thomas de Cumpton;
- Philip Daubeny - 30 Aug 1351 [priest; on resignation of Thomas de Cumpton; exchanged for Archdeaconry of Bedford];
- Roger de Wythyngton - 12 Apr 1352 [on death of Philip Daubeney];
- Thomas Yunge - 21 Aug 1357 [Rector of Oystermouth, Diocese of "Meneu" by exchange with Roger de Wythyngton];
- Robert de Braybrok - 12 Apr 1359 [clerk; on resignation of Thomas Yonge; dispensation "pro defectu etatis" in pursuance of a Papal Bull granted in consequence of the mortality caused by the Black Death];
- Robert de Braybrok - 11 May 1362 [clerk; on resignation of Robert de Braybrok];
- Reginald Braybrok - 11 May 1368 [clerk; on resignation of Robert Braibrok;];
- Walter Wodeward - 12 Jul 1373 [priest; on resignation of Reginald de Braybrok];
- John Cochowe - 18 May 1379 [Rector of Grytton, Ely Diocese, by exchange with Walter Wodeward];
 - John Burgate - 21 Dec 1394 [clerk; on death of last Rector];
- John Turveye - 14 May 1396 [priest; in succession to John Burgate];
- John Bodycote - 18 Nov 1396 [priest; on resignation of John Turveye, exchanged to be Rector of Yelden];
- John Godard - 30 Oct 1399 [priest; vacant];
- Walter Hollybred - 22 Apr 1447 [died on this date; brass in church];
- John Southell - 25 Sep 1447 [priest; on death of Walter Halibred];
- Edmund Lemyng - 30 May 1460 [priest; on death of John de Southill];
- Henry Babyngton MA - 29 Mar 1490 [on death of Edmund Lemyng];
- Ralph Cantrell - 14 Jan 1497 [priest; on resignation of Henry Babington];
- George Fage - 13 Apr 1531 [capellanus; on death of Ralph Cantrell];
- Evan David - 20 Oct 1569 [clerk; on death of last Rector];
- Thomas Castell - 25 Aug 1572 [compounded for the first fruits of the Rectory; resigned 16 May 1575];
- Benjamin Chambers - 8 Jun 1575 [admitted 16 May 1575; vacant on resignation of John Castell];
- Thomas Nicolson - 15 Jul 1578 [admitted 2 Aug 1578; on death of Benjamin Chambers];
- John Snell - 11 Jul 1579 [admitted 12 Feb 1579; vacant by deprivation of Thomas Nicholson];
- William Maude - 7 Jan 1595 [minister; buried 12 Aug 1622; will dated 21 Mar 1621, proved 8 Jul 1623];
- William Buckby STB - 1618 [married Ursula, daughter of Edward Osborne of Northill, esquire; buried 21 Feb 1648, aged 75; will dated 6 Jan 1648, proved in PCC 23 Apr 1649];
- Isaac Bedford MA - 12 Sep 1622 [buried 9 Nov 1661; will dated 16 Sep 1661, proved 8 Apr 1662];
- Nicholas East AM - 25 Apr 1662 [clerk; on death of Isaac Bedford; also Vicar of Pinchbeck [Lincolnshire]];
- William Slater STP - 22 Feb 1668 of Christ Church, Oxford; on death of Nicholas East; also Rector of St.James, Clerkenwell; died 3 Mar 1690 aged 68];
- Thomas Cooke MA - 14 Mar 1690 [on death of William Sclater];
- Philip Oddy AM - 17 Feb 1708 [on cess. of Thomas Cooke];
- licence to pull down the ancient Rectory - 6 Jun 1712;
- Samuel Sparhawke MA - 9 Feb 1733;
- Thomas Osborn LL.D - 13 Feb 1738 [on death of Samuel Sparhawke];
- Daniel Stephen Olivier LL.B - 7 Apr 1790 [on death of Thomas Osborn];
- Daniel Josias Olivier MA - 30 Jan 1827 [on death of Daniel Stephen Olivier];
- Henry Hugh Miles MA - 23 Jul 1858 [on death of Daniel Josias Olivier];
- Edmund Clement Alwyn Foster - Jul 1891;
- John Pycock - Apr 1896;
- Jervois Arthur Newnham - Nov 1921;
- Reginald Merac La Porte-Payne - Jul 1925;
- Theodore Robert Woosnam Lunt - Dec 1939;
- Philip Humphrey Hall - Aug 1947;
- Patrick Thomas Ashton - Nov 1951;
- Ernest Hall - 1959;
- Gerald Richard Stanley Ritson - 1969
- David Arthur Ireland - 1976;
- Peter John Pavey - 1984
- J Kenneth Dixon - 1994
- Mark-Aaron B.Tisdale - 2005